Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Nachos

Once again, I find myself lost in making Mexican food dishes.  I am basically a Mexican food groupie.  Whenever I go out to a Mexican food restaurant, I always want to recreate the dish I had.  My boyfriend finds this ever so annoying.  I take pictures of my food, write down ingredients I think it is missing or could make it better, and alternative ways of cooking it.  However, the one dish that I consistently make the same is Nachos. Nachos are great as a snack or a meal time.  Nachos can also be made in large portions, perfect for sharing or big groups.  This is my take on nachos…a little different from others. 
Ingredients:
Tortilla Chips
Cheese
Beans (Black or Re-fried)
Sour Cream
Guacamole
Meat (Steak, Chicken, Pork)
Jalapeños
Salsa
Cheese Sauce (Homemade)
On a large cookie sheet, spread tortilla chips and sprinkle them with cheese and the meat of your choice.  Put them in the oven on broil until the cheese melts.  After the cheese has melted, add another layer of chips, cheese, and meat.  Also add on the beans and jalapeños.  Let the cheese and other ingredients heat and melt under the broiler.  Once everything is melted, bring out the dish and add the cheese sauce.  The cheese sauce I use is a roux.  It can be a little complicated to make, but it gets easier the more you experiment.  Once your cheese sauce is added, add the salsa, sour cream and guacamole. 

This dish definitely takes some time, but totally worth it.  You can feed a few people with this dish and let’s be honest; you can never go wrong with nachos.  

4 comments:

  1. Love your recipe for Nachos. It looks simple, but delicious! As a student, I always find it difficult to find something to eat that doesn't take a lot of time to make. I like your use of pictures too. The layout of your blog is simple and easy to read. My only criticism would maybe change the background and add more color, so it is more graphic. Overall, great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh....yummmm! Not a good time to be reading about food. Now I'm hungry. And you are hilarious with your love of Mexican food. I agree with Tessa that the pictures help; I kinda wish they were close-ups though so I could really see the food. And even though I produce that radio cooking show, I have a confession -- I don't like to cook for just me because it takes too much time, dirties up too many dishes and it's too much effort to clean. My point? I appreciate the easy, one-pan recipes that can be made for just one or for 10. Keep going with this one! Oh, and bring samples in to class; I'm famished in the mornings. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mexican food is so easy and delicious! And you're so right about nachos being a great meal to share. That's my go-to when I have to cook for large amounts of people. That or pasta! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this blog and I love the idea. I am borderline obsessed with mexican food and I can't believe I've never thought to make my own. I love that when you go to restaurants you think of all the ingredients and everything that goes into making a particular dish (I'm going to have to start doing this). Also I really like that you added a recipe, I can't wait to make some nachos!

    ReplyDelete